So you want to take a gap year/retirement gap. What next?
There is a lot to consider and it will take time to research the best options for your gap year travel. Make sure you keep your friends and family involved throughout.
Keep in mind that:
- It’s best to start off with an organised activity with others of your age and then with increased confidence take more control of your year.
- Try to link your gap activities to areas of interest i.e. linked to your interests or career
- A round the world ticket is a sound basis for planning.
- Don’t forget to think about what you do in the UK, as well as abroad.
Some of the key issues in your investigation will include:
- What would you really like to do?
- Which countries would you like to include?
- For how long and when do you want to be away from home?
- Do you want to be on your own, with someone else, or in a group?
- Will you arrange it yourself (DIY), go through an organization or a combination of both?
- Safety Issues. What should you be doing to prepare yourself?