So you want to take a gap year. What next?
There is a lot to consider and it will take time to research the best options for you.
Keep in mind that:
- You have 15 months if you are deferring your HE place.
- You can raise a lot of the money needed by working.
- It’s best to start off with an organised activity with others of your age and then with increased confidence take more control of your year.
- Try to link your gap activities to areas of interest i.e. linked to your HE study or career.
- A round the world ticket is a sound basis for planning.
- Don’t forget to think about what you do in the UK, as well as abroad.
Some of the key issues in your investigation will include:
- What would you really like to do?
- Which countries would you like to include?
- For how long and when do you want to be away from home?
- Do you want to be on your own, with someone else, or in a group?
- Will you arrange it yourself (DIY), go through an organization or a combination of both?
- Safety Issues. What should you be doing to prepare yourself?